Thursday, January 31, 2013

First Day of School

I can't believe it, but the time has come.

The First Day of School.

It's so strange to have him not around me all day, every day. Of course him and I have been without one another for a few hours here and there while I've had to go to class, or for a night or two when he's had a sleep over at Mema and Pepa's house without us, but this is totally different. It's completely terrifying and liberating at the same time. I know that it's a good thing for him because he needs to spend some time with other kids his age, learn to share, work together, etc. Plus, while there, he follows a set structure there doing curriculum as opposed to casually playing blocks, running to the grocery store, or watching the Backyardigans with me. I was beginning to feel a little guilty with him at home with me because sometimes it would be too easy to get distracted by doing the dishes or laundry rather than playing with my boy. On the other hand  I can't stand not being there with him for every moment. I want to witness the first time he says a new word or does something different or funny. I suppose it's time for me to let go a bit and let him begin to live his own life without me there for everything! I will say, it's been nice for me to get to live my own life a bit too. I can now get things done around the house, do school work uninterrupted, go to the gym and shop without worrying about any toddler melt downs.

The first week was hard because he would cry every time we would drop him off at school and when we would come to pick him up. He's now doing great. He wakes up in the morning, eats his breakfast, gets dressed, and happily gets into he car to go to school. He was even invited to a birthday party for one of his classmates! Before I know it, I'll be going through the motions as he heads off to college...God help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment